Well that was pretty awful. The Saints turned the ball over four times, including an interception thrown by Ryan Griffin on the final drive inside a minute left with the Saints inside the Dolphins' 10, and had 11 penalties. The Saints were in that position to begin with because Corey White was beaten horribly by a 4th down double move for a 56 yard go ahead touchdown. The Saints also had a couple snap exchanges muffled by Griffin and two fumbles by Khiry Robinson on the ground. Overall a disappointing performance really from top to bottom. The penalties erased a few huge plays, and many others came pre snap. I'm not sure you can expect much better when it was backups almost entirely. No perfect preseason for the Saints this year. Here are some things I noticed:
- Isa Abdul-Quddus was injured on the opening kickoff and left the stadium in a boot. Not good for his already pretty bleak chances.
- Preseason MVP Glenn Foster left the game with an injured ankle and Nick Toon left the game with an apparent chest injury. Sean Payton said neither seemed serious, but who knows. It would be horrible to lose either guy for any length of time.
- Luke McCown directed the offense to a touchdown on the team's opening drive, his lone opportunity, and once again looked very comfortable.
- Ryan Griffin showed flashes of brilliance but made mistakes you don't see often in the NFL with snap exchange issues. He finished 15 of 31 for 198 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception. He'll likely be cut and added to the practice squad. I see him clearing waivers.
- Andy Tanner was a disaster. May have cost himself a roster spot with a couple drops.
- Khiry Robinson put the team on his back all game. He looked awesome. 6 catches for 50 yards and 22 carries for 115 yards. Too bad he had those two fumbles, he would have been a roster lock without them. With Cadet not playing I have no idea how this plays out. But I don't think Robinson clears waivers based on how he played in this game. So it'll be a tough decision for the Saints to make.
- Garrett Hartley JUST missed a 55 yarder wide right. Plenty of distance, though.
- Jay Richardson had a couple sacks and probably locked up his spot on the team.
- Corey White and Patrick Robinson joined the preseason party of terrible cornerback play.
That's all I really care to point out from this game that we should all just immediately forget. Time to get down to 53 and focus on the Falcons.