The Saints made mini camp available for the fans and media to witness today so there's finally some updates to share. Here's some information I gathered from numerous sources on twitter, most notably Larry Holder of the Times Picayune. Most notable is how good Jimmy Graham looks and everyone was very quick to point that out. Obviously things will change drastically once pads come on and there's live hitting. Jimmy Graham's problems last year seem to come more often when he was wide open than in tight coverage, so we'll see, but he seems to be catching the ball well and back to his old impressive self. Here are other notes in bullets:
- Kenyon Coleman is consistently with the 1's at defensive end. Akiem Hicks, Tom Johnson and Cam Jordan have also seen some time but Coleman seems to be a constant at least for now. Obviously he's Ryan's boy and he knows the system, but I do think the Saints are in trouble if their youngsters can't outperform him.
- John Jenkins' weight looks good for now. That's positive.
- Rufus Johnson is getting a lot of talk for his size and explosiveness. Martez Wilson better step up.
- Speaking of Martez Wilson, he and Junior Galette were behind Will Smith and Victor Butler on the depth chart and not really doing much of anything so far. Again, long way to go and pads need to come on but it's funny how we all talked about those two benefiting from this 3-4 shift and both may not be starters.
- Keenan Lewis was apparently in the hospital last night with an abdominal issue? Appendix problem maybe? He was kept overnight but apparently is ok.
- A.J. Davis seemed to play a good bit, possibly even ahead of Corey White at corner. Interesting.
- Terron Armstead got injured, hopefully it's not serious.
- Charles Brown was back with the 1s and seemed to do well.
- Jarred Fayson and Rod Sweeting got into a fight. Very standard for early in camp, coaches like to see competition.
- Isa Abdul-Quddus made numerous plays on the ball. Start this guy over Malcolm Jenkins already.
- Luke McCown was running the 2's for now.
Who's Hot: I'm going with Isa Abdul-Quddus who just keeps continuing to impress me by getting better and better with each opportunity. Kenyon Coleman and Jimmy Graham deserve mention here too, Graham for looking like his old self, and Coleman for milking his pre-existing relationship with Ryan.
Who's Not: Ben Watson. The Saints' backup tight end has been sitting out with injuries and Michael Higgins has apparently turned some heads early in his absence.